1/28/20: Good Medicine: Creating Inclusive Environments for Learning
Creating diverse and equitable clinical learning environments is a priority for medical educators and a mandate of the LCME and the ACGME. In this highly interactive workshop, participants will be presented with data which illustrate how the culture of academic medicine can be isolating for learners who self-identify as underrepresented in medicine (UIM). Participants will engage in a privilege walk and then participate in activities designed to skill-build around supporting all learners and creating inclusive learning environments.
This session will demonstrate the application of learning principles and will focus on the Core areas of Clinical Teaching & Inclusive Teaching.
All faculty and residents are welcome to attend these sessions.
1. Discuss the current climate of academic medicine as it relates to inclusion and equity
2. Explore how dynamics of privilege and marginalization impact the success of learners and medical educators
3. Develop and practice impactful and sensitive language to address issues of inclusion
4. Enact strategies to mitigate the impact of explicit discrimination and implicit bias in the clinical learning environment
Patricia Poitevien, MD, MSc
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Clinician Educator
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Faculty Development Oversight Group
Emily Green, PhD, MA (Chair)
Director, Faculty Development
Gowri Anandarajah, MD
Professor of Family Medicine (Clinical)
Angela Anderson, MD
Associate Professor of Pediatrics (Clinical)
Erica Chung, MD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics (Clinical)
Michele Cyr, MD
Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Luba Dumenco, MD
Assistant Dean for Medical Education
Paul George, MD
Associate Dean for Medical Education
Andrea Goldstein, MPA
Continuing Medical Education Coordinator
Jeffrey Hunt, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior
Jennifer Jeremiah, MD
Associate Program Director of Internal Medicine Residencies
Stacey Lawrence, PhD
Associate Director for STEM Initiatives
Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning
Christopher Merritt, MD
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Rory Merritt, MD
Assistant Dean of Medicine, PLME
Joyce Ou, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Steven Rougas, MD, MS
Director, Doctoring Program
Director, Continuing Medical Education
Sarita Warrier, MD, FACP
Assistant Dean for Medical Education
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education.
Physicians: The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Psychologists: The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is approved by the RI Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. The Alpert Medical School maintains responsibility for the program. This activity is approved for 1.5 Category 1 CE Credits. Credits available to RI licensed psychologists only.
- 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 1.50 APAThe Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is approved by the RI Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. The Alpert Medical School maintains responsibility for the program.
- 1.50 AttendanceParticipants will receive a Certificate of Attendance stating this program is designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. This credit is accepted by the AAPA and AANP.