04.14.2021: You've Been Served: Now What?
This session provides practical and psychological preparation for physicians involved with malpractice litigation. Using one physician’s experience, the session seeks to reduce the shame and isolation associated with being sued. While not providing legal advice, the session addresses helpful tips and supports for physicians navigating the litigation process. No direct experience with malpractice is necessary in order to benefit from these important insights!
All faculty and residents are welcome to attend these sessions.
After participating in this course, the learner should be better able to:
- Identify resources for support during litigation;
- List reasons why litigation is psychologically difficult for many physicians;
- Describe the sequence of events in civil litigation
This is a live webinar hosted via the Zoom Meeting platform.
Once registered, you will receive an email confirmation with Zoom meeting access instructions.
Gita Pensa, MD
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, Clinician Educator
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Emergency Medicine Physician
Brown Emergency Medicine
Faculty Development Oversight Group
Emily Green, PhD, MA (Chair)
Assistant Professor of Medical Science
Director, Faculty Development
Gowri Anandarajah, MD
Professor of Family Medicine (Clinical)
Angela Anderson, MD
Associate Professor of Pediatrics (Clinical)
Erica Chung, MD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics (Clinical)
Jeffrey Hunt, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior
Jennifer Jeremiah, MD
Associate Program Director of Internal Medicine Residencies
Maurice F. Joyce, MD, EdM
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology
Stacey Lawrence, PhD
Associate Director for STEM Initiatives
Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning
Coordinator, Continuing Medical Education
Christopher Merritt, MD
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Rory Merritt, MD
Assistant Dean of Medicine, PLME
Joyce Ou, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Steven Rougas, MD, MS
Director, Doctoring Program
Director, Continuing Medical Education
Sarita Warrier, MD, FACP
Assistant Dean for Medical Education
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education.
Physicians: The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Psychologists: The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is approved by the RI Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. The Alpert Medical School maintains responsibility for the program. This activity is approved for 1.0 Category 1 CE Credits. Credits available to RI licensed psychologists only.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 1.00 APAThe Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is approved by the RI Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. The Alpert Medical School maintains responsibility for the program.
- 1.00 AttendanceParticipants will receive a Certificate of Attendance stating this program is designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. This credit is accepted by the AAPA and AANP.