Module 1 - Overview of Sexual Assault
This module will provide an Overview of the medical presentations and care of survivors of sexual assault.
Estimated time to complete Module 1: 45 minutes.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to describe:
- The Legal and medical definitions of sexual assault
- The epidemiology of sexual assault in the USA
- The Roles of the medical, legal and advocacy systems in responding to victims of sexual assault
- The rights of victims of sexual assault and barriers in the legal and medical systems
- The long term medical, psychological and legal sequelae of sexual assault that we are trying to prevent by providing a trauma informed response
Susan Duffy, MD, MPH
Professor of Emergency Medicine, Professor of Pediatrics
Vice Chair, Academic Faculty Affairs
Department of Emergency Medicine
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Director, Fast Track and Nurse Practitioner Programs
Hasbro Children's Hospital | Providence, RI
The Warren Alpert Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physicians: The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University designates this enduring material for a maximum of .75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Health Professionals: Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance stating this program is designated for .75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. This credit is accepted by the AANP, AAPA, RI Pharmacy, and RI Psychologist re-licensure.
- 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 0.75 AttendanceParticipants will receive a Certificate of Attendance stating this program is designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. This credit is accepted by the AAPA and AANP.