Module 2 - Medical Evaluation of Sexual Assault
This module will provide an overview of approaches to a medical evaluation.
Estimated time to complete Module 2: 75 minutes.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to describe:
- Describe the processes of ED care that are followed when a patient seeks medical care after a sexual assault,
- Identify the various medical presentations and medical evaluations of sexual assault
- Define the steps to addressing patients’ health care needs and collecting and preserving evidence
- Describe the medical evaluation following sexual assault that meets high quality standards of care and is guided by the patient’s presentation and needs
- Demonstrate a trauma informed approach to care
Susan Duffy, MD, MPH
Professor of Emergency Medicine, Professor of Pediatrics
Vice Chair, Academic Faculty Affairs
Department of Emergency Medicine
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Director, Fast Track and Nurse Practitioner Programs
Hasbro Children's Hospital | Providence, RI
The Warren Alpert Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physicians: The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other Health Professionals: Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance stating this program is designated for 1.25 hour AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. This credit is accepted by the AANP, AAPA, RI Pharmacy and RI Psychologist re-licensure.
- 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 1.25 AttendanceParticipants will receive a Certificate of Attendance stating this program is designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. This credit is accepted by the AAPA and AANP.